City Warns of Cell Phone Link to Cancer [video included]
Conscious Life News
November 28, 2012
By Janine Stanwood, Reporter | My Local 10 Miami
PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. – The city of Pembroke Pines wants its residents to know that cell phones could be dangerous and linked to cancer. A newly-passed resolution was inspired by a resident who believes his brain tumor was caused by his mobile device.
“A lot of scientific data has to be done with it and the ordinance is kind of generic but it makes people aware,” said Pines mayor Frank Ortis.
Pines resident Jimmy Gonzalez had tumors removed in his brain above his left ear, his left hand, and near his hip. All places where he said his phone was pressed for long periods of time.
“I kept getting headaches,” Gonzalez said. “One day I realized I hold my cell phone with the same hand, up against this ear and when I was done, I would put it in to these pockets.”
Gonzalez spoke before the Pines City commission last month to encourage them to consider the resolution, which passed unanimously.
Unlike an ordinance, the resolution does not impose rules nor issues fines for non-compliance.
Part of the resolution encourages people to send texts or emails if possible, and asks people to keep phones at least an inch from their body.
“I think that could be good,” said one Pines resident Monday night.
But the idea of a city asking residents to behave a certain way did not sit well with everyone.
“I think that’s crossing the line,” said resident Shelly Grocher.
Ortis said the city can’t legislate human behavior, but encourages everyone to be informed.
In May, the World Health Organization reported that there could be a risk of cancer due to cell phone use.
“We worry about all aspects of life in our great city,” Ortis said.